The Bengals for the last season needs help on the offensive line. They will most likely go Offensive line in the first two rounds and another in the deeper rounds. There is also a serious need for a Linebacker. Now since they need offensive line first there won’t be a chance that Roquan Smith and Rashaan Evans will not be a Bengal. There is however a great steal in my mind if Josey Jewell from Iowa is available in the 3rd round. He is projected to be a top ten linebacker in the draft and is last years Jack Lambert award winner.
Josey wanted to come out in 2017 but they say he needed to work on his pass coverage skills but his run defense is one of the best in the nation for 3 years running. Last season he improved greatly on pass coverage with 11 batted balls, two Interceptions, and a forced fumble. Each year he consistently records 100 + tackles and double-digit tackles for loss. The best part is he is very durable by only missing one game in three years.
- He is quick to fill running lanes and is a sure tackler
- Drops into man and zone coverages with ease.
- When blitzing he has great awareness when to blitz and blocks passes with a high vertical for a shorter than average linebacker.
- As mentioned, he is a durable player, missing only one game in three years
- Averages over 100 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 26 passes deflected in three seasons
- Average in size and build
- His long game is not as fast as his short game
- Not an elite athlete
This is what the Bengals are missing. Josey Jewell is a very durable and is a great run stopper. Coming from a Conference (Big Ten) that prides themselves with defense and a conference that prides themselves in the run game. I think he is very qualified to be with Vontaze Burfict and Carl Lawson in a very young linebacker core.